Friday, June 5, 2009

Show Us Where You Live Friday: The Office

Kelly from Kelly's Korner hosts a Show Us Where You Live Party... and this week is offices! I decided to join in on the fun. I've seen a few of her parties with different rooms...but this is my first time participating. It is always so fun to see how everyone else decorates. Without further ado... Our Office:


We have a small office right off of our family room... here is a peek from the family room looking in.
This little guy hangs out on the door to greet you...
A look inside... it is our "Aviation" room. :)
The ceiling is my favorite feature of the room... since the room is relatively small (but just enough room for our office) it helps to open up the space.
A panoramic view... ;)
Vintage style planes sit on top of the desk hutch...with an old globe.
On top of one of the book cases is an old antique fan... Charles Lindberg and another globe.
The other bookcase displays a F/A-18 Super Hornet...a tailhook point (the part of the jet that catches the wire on an aircraft carrier to stop the jet upon landing) and my husband's old helmet. Their helmets are usually kept at work, however, this helmet has significance...last year my husband was involved in a catastrophic helicopter crash (as a passenger on their way back to the carrier) into the Pacific Ocean. At night. In the middle of the dark ocean. I KNOW. Long story...but the helmet's buoyancy helped him float to the surface of the ocean after escaping out of the helicopter underwater. Thankfully, everyone survived without injury...Praise the Lord.
Jon was issued a new helmet (mandatory after it goes underwater).
This helmet is a keeper!
I have a thing with Braniff Airways... I just love the vintage-y look of their advertisements. :)
On the back table are a few more airplanes... A picture of my first solo (in a Cessna), Jon's first solo (in the jet) and a picture of the first time we ever flew together. <3 onblur="try {parent.deselectBloggerImageGracefully();} catch(e) {}" href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh6NI0p8H7yMUvK_VFeFD8nmdOZ841je1XvPgLgfBVpcQfm3Rko8ccCPg1JwBwGkP-1pJzaVsYNkaGtHboFStIeFAv2TZpLvgF40llCYkFt7nWYLYEi6c_HX6uxkH74E3KcC4Vls6kiGxwE/s1600-h/12.png">Pictures around the office... Texas + Braniff+Cowboy Boots = Beautiful.
Top right picture is a collage of Jon's old squadron patches with a picture of a Hornet, signed by everyone in the squadron. VFA-2 squadron has a tradition of each person carrying a $2 bill signed by everyone who was with you in the squadron, in place of the normal military coins. That is also included in the collage.
Bottom right picture: my collage... old picture of women aviators... both military and civilian. Not in a crazy feminist way...but in a complete admiration for courageous women. There is still a lot of resentment toward women pilots now in many circles within the aviation community (you would have thought people would have gotten over this by now) so I cannot even imagine what these women went through to do what they loved. :)
I especially love the WASPs (Women Airforce Service Pilots in WWII)...and others, such as Amelia Earhart.
And my view from the desk. I love black furniture in offices... can you tell? ;) And this desk is plenty big to spread out when I'm doing my Bible devotions... or packing up an Etsy order...or whatever I may be doing. I love it.
Bottom right picture: My husband surprised me by painting me a placard of my Blog name... that matches my Blog theme! How cute is that?? I guess he figured since I spend so much time blogging, I ought to have a sign. ;)

So that concludes the tour! Most of y'all probably think we have lost our minds with the aviation decor; I suppose we have. ;) But it is completely a summation of both of our passions... so it works out well. Might as well love the space you live in and decorate accordingly, right? :)




5 comments:

Troy and Rachel said...

You are seriously adorable! I LOVE your blog, it's so so so cute!!!! My husband would just love your aviation themed office! What year did your husband graduate from the Naval Academy? Mine was 04. I am so jealous you are stationed in Texas!!!! Love the office!

Unknown said...

Our orders are up in San Diego in a year so we will be moving to either Maryland for Test Pilot School or Corpus/Pensacola for flight school! I would be totally happy with Texas :) Ahhh....Lemoore....Good Luck!!!! That's awesome he will be flying in the front seat!!!

blushing rose said...

Very nicely done office. TTFN ~Marydon

Unknown said...

I love anything aviation! And your office rocks! Its not only beautiful but looks very efficient!
Having a good weekend?
~Really Rainey~

Jessica said...

great office! you have done a great job!
Thank you for sharing about the helmet! WOW!!!

Post a Comment